23rd March, 2011
Cancer Research UK released figures today which show that more bowel cancers are being detected at an early stage since the introduction of the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme. In 2006 when screening first started, the rate of bowel cancer cases was 143.5 cases per 100,000 people aged 60-69. By 2008, the figure was 161.5 per 100,000 people – an increase of over 12 per cent. Catherine Thomson, Head of Statistics at CRUK was quoted as saying "without the screening programme it's likely that many of these cancers would not have been found for another few years, by which time they would be harder to treat".
Professor Julietta Patnick CBE, Director of the NHS Cancer Screening Programmes, comments "we welcome these new statistics demonstrating the great achievement of the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme. Screening saves lives and I would like to congratulate all those working in the Programme throughout the NHS. As this new data shows, regular bowel cancer screening detects cases earlier and we encourage all those who receive a bowel screening kit to make the decision to complete and return it."
- NHS BCSP home page
- Programme publications
About bowel screening
- Why screen for bowel cancer?
- What is the purpose of bowel cancer screening?
- How is the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme organised?
- Who is eligible for bowel cancer screening?
- Age extension to bowel cancer screening
- How are GPs involved in bowel cancer screening?
- How much does bowel screening cost?
- How does the screening process work?
- What does my bowel cancer screening result mean?
- How does the FOB test work?
- What is a colonoscopy?
- What are the risks of colonoscopy?
More information about the
- Who does what in the NHS BCSP?
- List of hubs and screening centres
- NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Evaluation Group
- Bowel cancer
- GP Pack (Information for primary care)
- Evaluation of English Bowel Screening Pilot
- Evaluation of the second round of the English Bowel Screening Pilot
- NHS bowel cancer training centres in England
- Use of patient information
- Frequently asked questions
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Programme news index
- Research in bowel cancer screening
- Useful links