Guidelines for the use of imaging in the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme
Published September 2010 | ISBN 978 1 84463 0707
These guidelines have been developed in response to the increasing use of radiology and, in particular, computed tomographic (CT) colonography (or virtual colonoscopy) by the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme. They have been distilled by the editors from the deliberations of a multidisciplinary team in the light of guidance set out in the international CT Colonography Standards document.
The screening algorithm for patients participating in the NHS BCSP has been widely publicised and the potential role for radiology within it clearly defined. The standards have been devised for BCSP screening teams offering CT colonography to patients with positive faecal occult blood tests (FOBt) who are unable to undergo complete conventional colonoscopy.
The bowel cancer screening IT system (BCSS) will be modified, where necessary, to support the new audit and reporting requirements outlined in this document.
- NHS BCSP home page
- Programme publications
About bowel screening
- Why screen for bowel cancer?
- What is the purpose of bowel cancer screening?
- How is the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme organised?
- Who is eligible for bowel cancer screening?
- Age extension to bowel cancer screening
- How are GPs involved in bowel cancer screening?
- How much does bowel screening cost?
- How does the screening process work?
- What does my bowel cancer screening result mean?
- How does the FOB test work?
- What is a colonoscopy?
- What are the risks of colonoscopy?
More information about the
- Who does what in the NHS BCSP?
- List of hubs and screening centres
- NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Evaluation Group
- Bowel cancer
- GP Pack (Information for primary care)
- Evaluation of English Bowel Screening Pilot
- Evaluation of the second round of the English Bowel Screening Pilot
- NHS bowel cancer training centres in England
- Use of patient information
- Frequently asked questions
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Programme news index
- Research in bowel cancer screening
- Useful links