I've read about a new breast screening technique. Why isn't it being offered by the NHS Breast Screening Programme?
Before any new technology is introduced into the NHS Breast Screening Programme it must be thoroughly evaluated for both clinical and cost effectiveness. This ensures that we can provide the best possible service to the greatest number of women.
- NHSBSP home page
- Programme publications
About breast screening
- What is breast screening?
- What does the NHS Breast Screening Programme do?
- When was the NHS Breast Screening Programme set up?
- What happens at a breast screening unit?
- Why are women under 50 not routinely invited?
- Are women screened over the age of 70?
- Screening women at higher risk
- Does breast screening save lives?
- Does breast screening have any risks?
- What is Digital Mammography?
- Research in breast screening
- About breast cancer
- Programme logistics
- Frequently asked questions
- Programme statistics
- Mammography equipment reports
- Programme news index
- Useful links