The NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme is now fully rolled out.
This means that most people in their sixties will have already received an invitation from the programme.
It is important to note, however, that exactly when the invitation is sent out depends upon a person's date of birth. For example, some areas began sending invitations to people with 'even' birthdays (60, 62, 64 etc). Others started with those with 'odd' birthdays (eg 61, 63, 65…). It can take up to two years for every eligible person in an area to be invited.
Most areas will have sent out invitations to all those eligible by the end of 2012.
Screening is for people without symptoms.
If you are concerned about any symptoms, please contact your GP or visit NHS Direct Online.
There is a variety of information available in different formats designed to assist in answering questions about bowel cancer screening. There is a selection of audio and video resources as well as information and instruction leaflets.
Using the test kit
Polyp growths and removal
Leaflets: British signed
It's your choice
- NHS BCSP home page
- Programme publications
About bowel screening
- Why screen for bowel cancer?
- What is the purpose of bowel cancer screening?
- How is the NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Programme organised?
- Who is eligible for bowel cancer screening?
- Age extension to bowel cancer screening
- How are GPs involved in bowel cancer screening?
- How much does bowel screening cost?
- How does the screening process work?
- What does my bowel cancer screening result mean?
- How does the FOB test work?
- What is a colonoscopy?
- What are the risks of colonoscopy?
More information about the
- Who does what in the NHS BCSP?
- List of hubs and screening centres
- NHS Bowel Cancer Screening Evaluation Group
- Bowel cancer
- GP Pack (Information for primary care)
- NHS bowel cancer training centres in England
- The English Bowel Screening Pilot
- Evaluation of English Bowel Screening Pilot
- Evaluation of the second round of the English Bowel Screening Pilot
- Use of patient information
- Frequently asked questions
- Flexible sigmoidoscopy
- Programme news index
- Research in bowel cancer screening
- Useful links